The Elements is the weekly newsletter from The All-Season Co. Each Wednesday, we round up and highlight a few interesting stories and ideas from the week that are related to running, hiking and the great outdoors. Have a tip to share? firstname.lastname@example.org
Is January 18th too late to say Happy New Year? It is our first email of the the year, so please accept these good wishes, but also feel free to send us an email if we’ve bent the social time-space continuum.
At any rate, we hope you’re enjoying the first days and month of 2023, and wishing you good health and plenty of fun outside in the year ahead.
This week, we ponder an A.I. running plan, look at winter camping and round up a few more interesting things from the great outdoors.
• Have you heard about “ChatGPT”? It’s a new artificial intelligence (A.I.) language/chat program from OpenAI that has been making some big waves for its, well, artificial intelligence. We recently asked ChatGPT to create a training plan for getting someone from the couch to running a marathon. Read about how that went here.
• What’s the difference between neutral and stability running shoes? Fleet Feet has a good overview here.
• In the market for a camping trailer? Outside reviews the $45k Australian Off-Road Sierra, and…spoiler: its a beaut! Check it out here.
If you’re enjoying this week’s newsletter so far, please consider helping our small team grow by forwarding this along to others who might enjoy subscribing. Thanks!
• The summer of 2022 was a record setting one for summits on K2. Before then, the record for most summits in year on the mountain was 62. On one single day this July there were more than 100 summits. While a boon for sherpas and K2 related business, there are also safety and environmental concerns. The Adventure Journal has more.
• If you’re going to go chasing waterfalls, here are some safety tips to keep in mind.
DISCOVERY OF THE WEEK
Just how fast does an Olympic racewalker go? According to Mark Lewis, it’s like “watching a Tesla blast away from the lights with no engine noise.”
This video is a great breakdown of the mechanics and bewildering motion of racewalking.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. “ — John Steinbeck
If you’ve enjoyed this week’s newsletter, please consider helping our small team grow by forwarding this along to others who might enjoy subscribing. Thanks!
The All-Season Company creates apparel and content for runners, hikers and adventurers who embrace the elements.